- Create the bug. Add 750ml warm water, 1 dsp ginger, 1dsp active yeast, 1dsp raw sugar into a 1.25L bottle. Feed with 1tsp sugar and 1 tsp ginger every day for one week.
- You will need a large bowl and 7 or 8 x 1 litre plastic soft drink bottles
- Put sugar and cream of tartar into the bowl
- Add boiling water first, followed by the cold water
- Add lemon juice.
- The container of ‘bug’ will have sludge in the bottom and liquid on the top.
- Pour the liquid part into the bowl.
- Stir well and pour into well washed soft drink bottles.
It pays to write the date on the bottles at this stage because you need to wait two weeks before drinking.
Open carefully as sometimes the ginger beer takes on a life of its own and may burst out everywhere when opened, especially if the bottles are hard.
With the leftover bug fill the jar with water and throw half away or give it away to a friend.